HONG KONG SAR – Media OutReach – 19 August 2021 – Environmental charity, Redress, releases a preview of never-before-seen runway looks from the Redress Design Award 2021 Finalists offering a glimpse of what will be showcased at the Grand Final Fashion Show on 11 September held in Hong Kong – and livestreamed to the world. Two Hong Kong-based creatives, Karl Lam and Kieran Ho, shot the photoshoot. It is inspired by the aesthetics of cyberspace, with models placed against a background of gradient light that represents the ether of virtual reality. VOGUE Hong Kong’s October 2021 issue will feature an extended version that combines virtual and physical models.
Redress Design Award was organized by environmental charity Redress and supported by Create Hong Kong, Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (CreateHK), as the lead sponsor. The collections of the finalists were safely delivered to Hong Kong by UPS using their carbon neutral shipping service.
In less than four weeks, the 10 finalists will present their signature waste reducing collections to an esteemed panel of international judges – among them returning powerhouses Orsola de Castro (Fashion Revolution), Desiree Au (Vogue HK) and Mahmoud Salahy (Timberland) – in a bid to be named the winner of the Redress Design Award 2021. The first prize winner will be joining VF’s Timberland team for a collaboration on a runway win. designProject, closely working with the VF Corporation Sustainability & Responsibility group to ensure that materials are and remain safe. design strategies maximise sustainability. They will gain invaluable insights from the supply chain, including product development and sourcing. They will also deepen their skills in sustainable production and marketing. The Orsola De Castro mentorship opportunity will be awarded to the runner up prize winner.
The editorial photoshoot’s creative direction reflects the digital future. fashionThis spotlights forward-thinking designers who are tackling this challenge fashionRecycle, upcycling, and zero-waste methods are the main ways that’s waste is managed. The finalists respond to the competition’s core brief by giving second life to a variety waste streams, including consumer waste like suits and uniforms, as well as more unusual waste streams such damaged camping equipment and old sailing sail flags.
Participating from their homes across the world – Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mainland China, Taiwan, United Kingdom, and the United States of America – as part of the upcoming Grand Final Week the finalists will continue their educational journey through in-depth challenges with a focus on designFor circularity in partnership VF Corporation and TAL group, and will be joining a selection masterclasses to support future careers.
SAVE THE DATE OF THE GRAND FINAL FASHION SHOW
Redress Design Award 2021 Grand Final Fashion Show will be open to a select VIP audience in person. It will be streamed live via Facebook and Weibo on Saturday, 11 September 2021 at 6:30pm (HKT)/2:30pm (CET). You can save the date by clicking here https://fb.me/e/1zmpxj3Zj
The Redress Design Award 2021 Photoshoot Credits
● Models: Beanju C and Alfred J
● Creative Stylist: Kieran Ho
● Photographer: Karl Lam
● Hair: Marco Chan for KMS
● Make-up: Karen Yiu for Hong Kong Makeup Artist
● Venue: Karl Studio, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
You can download the photoshoot images by clicking here
● Read more about the Redress Design Award 2021 finalists at https://www.redressdesignaward.com/finalists
● The Redress Design Award 2021 International Judges are Orsola De Castro, Fashion Designer, Global Creative Director and Co-founder, Fashion Revolution; Desiree Au, Founding Publisher of Vogue Hong Kong; Angus Tsui, Creative Director, ANGUS TSUI and Alumnus, Redress Design Award; Cecilie Thorsmark, CEO, Copenhagen Fashion Week; Mahmoud Salahy, Vice President & Managing Director, Timberland APAC; Sean Cady, Vice President, Global Sustainability, Responsibility and Trade, VF Corporation; Jeannie Renné-malone, Vice President, Global Sustainability, VF Corporation; and Christophe Degoix, Chief Operating Officer, TAL Apparel Ltd.
● The Redress Design Award 2021 was open to emerging designers and students with less than four years’ professional experience from around the globe, focusing on womenswear and menswear fashion design.
● The Redress Design Award is run by environmental NGO, Redress, and supported by Create Hong Kong of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region as the Lead Sponsor. Avery Dennison, TAL Group and UPS are also key partners.
● The Redress Design Award 2021 Prizes are:
○ First Prize: The Redress Design Award 2021 with VF Corporation’s Timberland. Get the chance to collaborate on a designLearn about the project designStrategies to maximize sustainability; receive HK$50,000 development funding.
○ Runner-Up Prize: The Redress Design Award Mentorship with Orsola de Castro and receive HK$15,000 (US$1,900) as development funding and other notable prizes.
○ Hong Kong Best Prize: The top Hong Kong applicant will win a guaranteed place in the Grand Final and receive HK$15,000 (US$1,900) as development funding and other notable prizes.
○ More details can be found at https://www.redressdesignaward.com/2021/prizes
About Redress (www.redress.com.hk).
Redress is a pioneering environmental charity that works to reduce and transform textile waste. fashion industry. Its dynamic programmes aim to minimize the negative effects of fashionWhile promoting new models and driving growth toward a circular economy, Redress also encourages innovation. Redress works directly with many stakeholders including manufacturers, brands and government. fashion.
The Redress Design Award is the largest sustainable award in the world. fashion designCompetiton to educate emerging fashionSustainable design is a topic that designers all over the world are discussing designTheory and techniques to help drive the shift toward a circular economy fashionsystem. By putting sustainable designTalent in the global spotlight. The competition creates a unique platform to showcase talented and passionate individuals fashionGlobal transformation requires game-changers fashionindustry and rewards the best with career-changing prize to maximize long-term impact. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region has created Hong Kong. The Redress Design Award Lead Sponsor. www.redressdesignaward.com
About Create Hong Kong (www.createhk.gov.hk)
Create Hong Kong (CreateHK), a dedicated agency, was established by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (GHSAR) in June 2009. It is located under the Communications and Creative Industries Branch at the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau and is dedicated to leading the development and growth of Hong Kong’s creative industry. Its strategic goals include nurturing talent, facilitating start-ups and exploring markets.
CreateHK sponsors the Redress Design Award (formerly EcoChic Design Award) every year since 2011, in order to promote Hong Kong. fashion design.
*Disclaimer: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region provides funding support to the project only, and does not otherwise take part in the project. These materials/events and any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations made by members of the team are solely those of the organizers and do not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the Communication and Technology Branch of the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau.